Pork rinds are tasty and crunchy and apparently, they are healthy too. Now, they come in different variants and flavors. If you are looking for the best pork rinds, we have a great selection for you.
Best Pork Rinds on the 2023 Market
Old Time Fat Back Skins Chicharron Red Pepper: Most Convenient Option
You can enjoy these pork rinds right out of the bag or with your favorite dip. Another delicious way to eat these is by putting a drop or two of your favorite sauce on them before popping them in your mouth.
This is a great alternative to chips and popcorn – especially for those who are on a diet – because they are low on carbs and high in protein.
If you are worried that these will not be fresh when it arrives at your doorstep, you have the manufacturer’s word. They package the pork rinds right away as they come out of the cooking facility to lock in the freshness.
This is a great alternative to bread crumbs if you are on a gluten-free diet. All you need to do is to crush them up before applying to the meat or other food. You can also use these in salads to replace croutons.
This variant has a red pepper flavor making it a tasty and spicy treat. A reviewer said tasting these was like going back in time because they tasted like pork rind made back in the day.
- Can be eaten as is. No need for sauce
- Packed immediately after cooking for freshness
- Low carb, high in protein
- A reviewer said it tasted stale.
Pork King Good Low-Carb Keto Diet Pork Rind: Luxury Pick
This is perfect for those following a keto and gluten-free diet because it contains absolutely no carbs. It’s multipurpose too. It’s not only good as a snack. You can also use them in place of breadcrumbs to make your favorite dishes.
The manufacturer’s website even provides free recipes. And because these are ground it is very easy and convenient to use. There is no need for you to grind big pork rind pieces. It comes in a jar so it is easy to measure and scoop some up when needed.
As far as flavor and texture are concerned, these pork rind crumbs are light, salty, and crunchy. Because they are already ground, they will just melt in your mouth. It is high in protein and has just 90 calories per serving.
Consumers who bought this product are raving about the limitless possibilities that it offers. Some have even used it for desserts, using the saltiness of the pork rind crumbs to counterbalance the sweetness of their creations.
- Easy and convenient to use because rinds are ground already
- Low carb and high in protein
- Comes in a convenient jar
- Presents endless possibilities for cooking.
- Quite expensive
- Tends to get soggy.
Utz Pork Rind Barrels: Runner Up
Many people are raving at how delicious these pork rinds are. They are incredibly salty though and can make you dehydrated so don’t forget to drink lots of water when you eat this product.
They come in a plastic container that can be recycled or reused. It also keeps the pork rinds fresh and crunchy.
It contains zero carbs to it is perfect for those following a keto diet. It is also gluten free and trans fat free. That doesn’t mean that it is non-fat though. The greasiness of the product is an issue with some customers.
The grease also tends to seep down to the bottom of the container. Customers need to understand, however, that the grease is mostly responsible for giving this product its flavor.
It does not have any flavoring. So what you can taste is just the pork rind and salt. It is an advantage for those who just love the taste of plain fried pork rind. For those who are looking for extra flavor, better get something else.
- Delicious even without flavoring
- Comes in a reusable container
- Contains zero trans fat.
- Really greasy.
Epic Artisanal Pork Rinds, Sea Salt & Pepper: Editor’s Choice
This is the only pork rind in the market that is made from free range and organic pigs that are raised in a humane manner and without antibiotics.
The use of antibiotics in farm animals can be an issue because some experts believe that they can cause health problems among humans. This is also a gluten and grain free product making it an ideal snack for people following a keto diet. It is also preservative-free.
Another good thing about this product is the consistency of the pieces. Some pork rind brands contain pieces that are hard to chew and eat and are almost inedible. With this one, you can eat every piece.
This is a premium product though so it is more expensive than other pork rinds on the market. But eating it as a treat every now and then will not hurt your wallet.
And if you are concerned about where your pork rinds come from and if you don’t mind spending more for a high quality product then this is the pork rind for you.
- Made from free-range, organic, humanely-raised, and antibiotic-free pork
- Carb, gluten, and preservative free
- Pieces have consistent texture.
- More expensive than other products.
Pork Panko – Zero-Carb Pork Rind Breadcrumbs: Healthy Pick
Simple yet very tasty. It only contains two ingredients: pork rind and rock salt. It is naturally carb-free so it is perfect for those on a keto, paleo, bariatric, and diabetic diet.
This product has a very high tolerance, which makes it perfect for dishes that use flour and need to be cooked in the oven or grill. You can use this as a bread crumb substitute for chicken, fish, etc.
It is gluten-free and made from a facility that only makes pork rinds.
The market is saturated with flavored pork rinds. Sometimes, you just want to have plain pork rinds as a snack or for cooking.
This product is the perfect product for people who just want plain pork rinds. It offers a convenient solution to people who don’t have the time to make their own pork rind breading.
The product is a bit pricey but many people are satisfied with its taste and the convenience it provides.
- Naturally carb-free and gluten-free
- Perfect for cooking because it has a very high tolerance for heat
- Can be used for different kinds of dishes
- Simple yet tasty
- Easy and convenient to use.
- A bit pricey.
The Best Pork Rinds: Benefits and How to Choose the Right One
Pork rinds are a childhood favorite of many people, but do you know that it is considered by experts as one of the healthiest snacks on the planet. People love them because they are very tasty.
Pork rinds are greasy and salty and they are fun to eat because of their crunchy texture. But who would’ve guessed that they present plenty of health benefits?
Unless you have been living under a rock for the past couple of years, then you have most probably heard of the keto diet already. It is a diet that utilizes minimal carbs, but is high in fat. The idea is to proceed into the metabolic phase known as ketosis.
During ketosis, the body becomes quick and effective in converting fat into energy. Additionally, fat is converted into ketones in the liver, which supplies the brain with much needed energy.
The keto diet offers plenty of health benefits. It can lower blood sugar and insulin levels among others.
Pork rinds are perfect for people who are following a keto diet because it has zero carbs and high in fat. It is also rich in protein. Pork rinds are also naturally gluten-free, so it is also perfect for people with celiac disease and gluten-insensitivity.
The keto diet has scientific backing as well. Research has shown that saturated fat is actually good for us and pork rinds are rich in saturated fat along with other foods such as red meat, butter, and bacon.
Advocates of the high fat diet have gained a foothold in recent years. More and more people are starting to realize that it is not fat that is making them sick but sugar and carbs.
This should not give you the license to binge on high fat food though. Everything in moderation is still the best rule to follow.
Also known as cracklins or chicharron, pork rinds are deep fried pig’s skin. They are often fried in lard. Some variants are pure pork rind while others have meat and fat attached to them.
Below are some of the health benefits of pork rinds:
- Pork rinds are high in muscle-building protein. It actually contains 9 times more protein than potato chips. A serving of pork rinds can contain somewhere between 7 to 8 grams of protein.
So if you need a snack, better to grab a bag of pork rinds than a bag of potato chips.
- Pork rinds have zero-carbs. They are safe for diabetics because they won’t raise blood sugar levels. In comparison, potato chips is a high carb snack.
- Pork rinds contain saturated fat and protein that can make you feel fuller longer. This is because both fat and protein take longer to digest than carbs.
- Pork rinds is also a good source of collagen making it good for the skin. The skin is essentially made of concentrated collagen.
Not all pork rinds are the same. So if you want to get the most of the health benefits of pork rinds, you need to get the best one. Here are a few tips on how to choose the best pork rinds.
- The best kind of pork rinds are those that are made from pastured hogs. These are usually organic and antibiotic-free pork and come from farms that practice sustainable methods of raising livestock.
You should be wary of meat from farmed animals because they usually contain antibiotics that can be harmful to humans. If you care about your health and the environment, you should choose your pork rinds well.
- You should avoid pork rinds with MSG. This common food additive has been linked to many health problems including headaches, weight gain, and even liver problems. The best pork rinds are those that are made with only two ingredients: pork and salt.
- Pork rinds are not just for snacking. They can also be used for cooking. They can even be used for desserts such as cakes. It makes a great bread crumb substitute for people who are following a keto diet. Looking for more keto inspiration? Check out our top picks for keto-friendly butter and the best bacon for keto diets!
You can buy pre-crushed pork rinds or you can crush them yourself. Using pork rinds on cakes can balance the sweetness of the dessert.
- Flavored pork rinds are also available if you want to spice things up. Just like potato chips, pork rinds come in many tasty and exciting flavors.
When you buy flavored pork rinds though, it is best to choose one that is made with all-natural ingredients and are free of preservatives.
For us, the best pork rinds is Epic Artisanal Pork Rinds, Sea Salt & Pepper. These are made from organic and pastured hogs, making it a safe and healthy choice. These are more expensive than regular pork rinds, but they are definitely worth it. They taste great as well.
Jen Lin-Liu is the founder of Black Sesame Kitchen. A Chinese-American writer and a nationally certified Chinese chef in Beijing. Jen is the author of two memoirs, Serve the People: A Stir-Fried Journey Through China and On the Noodle Road: From Beijing to Rome with Love and Pasta.