Looking for a delicious cake to celebrate your family gatherings? Osmanthus cakes are the perfect choice! They are made with fresh osmanthus flowers that give them a unique and delicate flavor.
These cakes are often served at Chinese weddings and other special occasions. They can be made in advance and frozen, so they are always ready when you need them. Osmanthus cakes are not only beautiful, but they are also delicious. The osmanthus flowers give the cake a light and delicate flavor that is perfect for any occasion.
If you are looking for a unique and delicious cake to serve at your next family gathering, try osmanthus cakes! You will be sure to impress your guests with this delicious and beautiful cake.
You will love the taste of these cakes, and you will love how easy they are to make! Follow the recipe below to make your own osmanthus cakes!
Osmanthus Cakes Overview
Osmanthus cakes are a popular dessert in China, and are made from a type of flower called osmanthus. These flowers are small and have a sweet fragrance, making them ideal for use in baking. The cakes are often round or oval in shape, and can be decorated with osmanthus blossoms or other fruits.
Osmanthus cakes are usually made with glutinous rice flour, which gives the cake a chewy texture. Other ingredients include osmanthus syrup, water, and baking soda. The cakes are steamed in a cake pan or mold, and then cooled before being served.
Osmanthus cakes are a traditional Chinese dessert that is enjoyed during the autumn months. They are often given as gifts, and are also served at weddings and other special occasions.
If you are looking for a unique and delicious dessert, then osmanthus cakes are a great option to consider. The cakes are usually steamed, and have a light, delicate flavor. They are often served with green tea.
Osmanthus cakes are believed to have originated in the Tang Dynasty (618-907 AD). They were first mentioned in a cookbook from that period, called “Yueji”. The cakes were then known as “xiangfen”, and were made with rice flour and osmanthus flowers.
The name “osmanthus cake” first appeared in the Song Dynasty (960-1279 AD), in a book called “Qimin Yaoshu”. The cakes became very popular during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644 AD), and were often given as gifts.
In recent years, osmanthus cakes have become increasingly popular in the West. They are widely available in Chinese supermarkets, and can also be found online.
If you are looking for a delicious and unique dessert, then osmanthus cakes are a great option to consider. The cakes are light and delicate, and have a uniquely sweet flavor. They are often served with green tea, and can be found in Chinese supermarkets or online.
Osmanthus cakes are made with a type of flour called glutinous rice flour. The flour is mixed with water to form a dough, which is then steamed. Osmanthus flowers are added to the dough, or used to decorate the top of the cake.
Osmanthus cakes are usually eaten during the autumn and winter months, when osmanthus flowers are in season. They are often served at Chinese weddings and other special occasions.
What Make Osmanthus Cakes Different From Others?
There are many reasons making osmanthus cakes different from other cakes, including:
The first and most important reason is the unique flavor of osmanthus cakes. Osmanthus flowers have been used in Chinese cooking for centuries, and their delicate floral flavor is quite different from anything else out there.
The flavor of the cake is light and subtly sweet, with a hint of floral flavor that really sets it apart from other cakes. The light and sweet taste will definitely tantalize your taste buds!
The sweet osmanthus flowers give the cakes a unique floral flavor that is unlike any other type of cake. The cakes are also often filled with a variety of different fillings, such as fruits, nuts, and even chocolate, which makes them even more delicious.
Osmanthus flowers are also used to make a very popular type of Chinese tea, so if you’re a fan of tea, you’ll definitely enjoy the flavor of these cakes.
Osmanthus cakes are so popular is because of their amazing taste. The osmanthus flowers used to flavor the cake give it a very unique and fragrant flavor that is simply unmatched by any other cake. The cake is also usually very moist and fluffy, making it even more delicious.
The osmanthus flowers used to decorate the cake also add a lovely sweetness to the cake, making it even more delicious. The osmanthus cake is truly a unique and special treat that is sure to please everyone. If you have never tried one before, you are definitely missing out!.
So if you are looking for a unique and delicious cake to serve at your next party or event, then an osmanthus cake is definitely the way to go. You and your guests will absolutely love the amazing flavor and beautiful appearance of this incredible cake.
Another reason why osmanthus cakes are different from other cakes is their beautiful appearance. The osmanthus flowers used to decorate the cakes are often in full bloom, and their bright yellow color is very eye-catching. Osmanthus cakes are also often decorated with other colorful fruits and vegetables, which makes them even more visually appealing.
Moreover, the osmanthus cake itself is usually a beautiful golden color, making it even more appealing to look at. The osmanthus flowers used to decorate the cake give it a very elegant and romantic look. The cake itself is also usually incredibly moist and fluffy, making it even more irresistible.
Another reason osmanthus cakes are different is the texture. They are more dense and chewy than regular sponge cakes. The addition of osmanthus flowers also gives the cake a slight crunch.
Osmanthus cakes have a unique flavor and texture that sets them apart from other cakes. They are denser and chewier than traditional sponge cakes, with a slight crunch from the addition of osmanthus flowers. Their sweetness is subtle, making them a perfect treat for those who prefer a less sugary cake.
Whether you enjoy them on their own or with a cup of tea, osmanthus cakes are a delicious way to add a touch of sweetness to your day. The cakes are made with a special type of rice flour that gives them a light and fluffy texture, which is very different from the dense and heavy textures of most other cakes.
This makes osmanthus cakes perfect for people who don’t like overly sweet or rich desserts, as they’re not too sweet or heavy. Osmanthus flowers are used to give the cake its unique flavor and aroma, as well as a slight crunchy texture.
The osmanthus flower is a type of flowering plant that belongs to the same family as the olive tree. It’s native to Asia, and its flowers are used in traditional Chinese medicine. The osmanthus flower has a sweet and floral flavor, which is why it’s often used in desserts and cakes.
Osmanthus cakes are usually round and flat, with a diameter of about 5-10 cm. They can be made with or without filling, but most osmanthus cakes have a layer of filling in the middle.
The most popular fillings are red bean paste, lotus seed paste, and chestnut paste. Osmanthus cakes are usually served with tea, and they can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Another reason osmanthus cakes are so special is that they’re incredibly fragrant. The osmanthus flower, also known as sweet osmanthus, gives these cakes their signature scent. This flower is often used in Chinese cooking and baking because of its unique aroma. It’s said to smell like a mix of apricot, peach, and plum blossoms.
Osmanthus cakes are often enjoyed during the autumn as the fragrant osmanthus flowers are in season. This makes them the perfect treat to enjoy while taking in the autumn scenery.
The osmanthus flowers used to make the cakes have a natural, floral fragrance that’s incredibly pleasing. It’s not overpowering, but it’s definitely noticeable and adds to the overall flavor and aroma of the cake.
Osmanthus cakes are definitely a unique and special treat. If you’re looking for something a little different, or just want to try something new, be sure to give them a try!
How To Make Osmanthus Cakes?
Here, we will give you a completed guide to make osmanthus cakes:
Step 1: Prepare the ingredients
The first and most important step is to gather all of the necessary ingredients. For this recipe, you will need:
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 large egg, beaten
-1 tablespoon osmanthus flower extract
Step 2: Mix the ingredients together
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. When doing this, you should make sure that there are no clumps in the mixture.
In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Once this is done, add in the egg and osmanthus flower extract. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients until everything is evenly combined.
Step 3: Bake the cake
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour an 8-inch cake pan, then pour in the batter. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. You should bake the cake using osmanthus-infused oil or butter in the recipe. This will give the cake a light and delicate flavor of osmanthus.
Step 4: Let the cake cool
When the cake is done baking, let it cool completely before slicing and serving. You should let the cake cool because if you try to slice it while it is still warm, it will fall apart.
Step 5: Put the syrupy osmanthus glaze on top (optional)
To make the syrupy osmanthus glaze, you will need:
-1/4 cup water
-1/4 cup sugar
-1 tablespoon osmanthus flowers
Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Add in the osmanthus flowers and let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly. Once it is cooled, strain the osmanthus flowers out and drizzle the syrup over the top of the cake.
Your delicious osmanthus cake is now ready to be enjoyed! And there you have it! A delicious and easy-to-make osmanthus cake that is perfect for any occasion. Enjoy!
Things To Keep In Mind When Making Osmanthus Cakes
There are things to keep in mind when you are making osmanthus cakes. Here are some tips:
– Make sure the osmanthus flowers are fresh. If they are not, the cake will not taste as good. It is because the osmanthus flowers will not be as fragrant.
– If you can, use a food processor to grind the osmanthus flowers. This will help to release the fragrance of the osmanthus flowers and make the cake more fragrant. Because the osmanthus flowers are very delicate, it is better to grind them in a food processor rather than by hand.
– When you are making the cake, make sure that the batter is not too runny. If it is, the cake will be too dense and will not taste as good.
– Make sure to bake the cake until it is golden brown. If you bake it for too long, the cake will be dry and crumbly.
– Do not overmix the batter. Overmixing will make the cake tough and not as fluffy.
– When you are baking the cake, do not open the oven door frequently. This will cause the heat to escape and the cake will not be cooked evenly.
– Do not use too much oil when frying the cake batter. Otherwise, the cake will be greasy and not as light.
– Be careful not to burn the osmanthus cake. The sugar in the batter will caramelize and make the cake taste bitter.
– When you are serving the cake, you can dust it with some powdered sugar or serve it with a dollop of whipped cream.
3 Perfect Osmanthus Cakes Recipes
There are many recipes for osmanthus cakes, but these are four of our favorites.
Osmanthus Cake with White Chocolate Ganache
This cake is simple and elegant, with a flavorful osmanthus-infused white chocolate ganache filling and frosting. You can make it in any flavor you like, but we love the combination of osmanthus and white chocolate.
Ingredients: 1 cup (250 grams) unsalted butter at room temperature, 1 cup (200 grams) sugar, 4 eggs at room temperature, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup (120 ml) buttermilk at room temperature, 1/2 cup (120 ml) osmanthus syrup, 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy cream, 8 ounces (225 grams) white chocolate chopped, 1 teaspoon osmanthus extract
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F (180 degrees
2. In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs one at a time, mixing until each is incorporated. Mix in the vanilla extract.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
4. To make the filling, mix together the osmanthus syrup, heavy cream, white chocolate, and osmanthus extract in a heat-proof bowl. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
5. To assemble the cake, divide the batter evenly between two 8-inch (20 cm) cake pans. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pans. Set one cake layer on a plate or cake stand and spread with the osmanthus filling. Top with the second cake layer and spread with the remaining filling. Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Osmanthus Cake with Lemon Frosting
This cake is moist and fluffy, with a tart lemon frosting. The osmanthus syrup adds a delicate floral flavor that pairs beautifully with the lemon.
Ingredients: 1/2 cup (120 ml) osmanthus syrup, 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice, 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest, 1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable oil, 1 3/4 cups (350 g) sugar, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 3/4 cups (330 g) all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans.
2. In a small bowl, combine the osmanthus syrup, lemon juice, and lemon zest. In a large bowl, beat together the oil and sugar until well blended. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat well. Add the osmanthus syrup mixture to the oil and sugar mixture and beat until well blended.
5. In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just blended.
6. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pans. Place the cakes on a wire rack and let cool completely.
8. For the frosting: In a large bowl, beat together the butter, lemon juice, and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Spread the frosting over the cooled cakes.
9. Store the cake in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This Osmanthus Cake with Lemon Frosting is moist and fluffy, with a tart lemon frosting. The osmanthus syrup adds a delicate floral flavor that pairs beautifully with the lemon. It’s perfect for a spring or summer dessert!
Osmanthus Cake with Blueberry Buttercream
This cake is moist and fluffy, with a tart blueberry buttercream. The osmanthus syrup adds a delicate floral flavor that pairs beautifully with the blueberry.
Ingredients: 1/2 cup (120 ml) osmanthus syrup, 1 cup (240 ml) blueberry buttercream, 1/2 cup (120 ml) cake flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup (120 ml) unsalted butter, at room temperature, 1 cup (200 g) sugar, 4 eggs, at room temperature, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine the osmanthus syrup, blueberry buttercream, cake flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing just until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
5. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
What ingredients are in an osmanthus cake?
An osmanthus cake is usually made of flour, sugar, eggs, osmanthus syrup, and baking powder. You can also add in other ingredients like fruit or nuts to your cake to make it more interesting.
How do I store an osmanthus cake?
You can store your cake in a cool, dry place for up to 2 days. If you need to store it for longer, you can wrap it in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Can I freeze my osmanthus cake?
Yes, you can freeze your cake. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw it overnight in the fridge before serving.
What is the best way to serve an osmanthus cake?
Serve your cake chilled or at room temperature. You can also serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream on the side. You can eat osmanthus cake by itself or with tea. It is also common to see it served with other Chinese desserts.
Osmanthus cakes are a type of traditional Chinese cake that is made with osmanthus flowers. These delicate and fragrant cakes are often enjoyed as a dessert or snack, and they can be purchased from many local bakeries in China. If you are visiting China, be sure to try some of these delicious cakes! You can also make it yourself. So, what are you looking for?
Jen Lin-Liu is the founder of Black Sesame Kitchen. A Chinese-American writer and a nationally certified Chinese chef in Beijing. Jen is the author of two memoirs, Serve the People: A Stir-Fried Journey Through China and On the Noodle Road: From Beijing to Rome with Love and Pasta.