I am often asked for the best method to clean fruits and vegetables, and if commercially available produce washes are necessary. I can’t say either way if supermarket veggie sprays work, but I use what I grew up using; white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. I was excited to see Cook’s Illustrated prove the effectiveness of a vinegar wash that I learned from my mom years ago. The magazine did a study comparing the effectiveness of removing bacteria from produce with vinegar, plain water, antibacterial soap, and a produce wash. The vinegar wash got rid of most bacteria. (I couldn’t find the original study on the Cook’s Illustrated website but did find a summary of it on npr.org).
I keep a reusable spray bottle filled with either white vinegar or apple cider vinegar near my sink. I spray hard-skinned vegetables and fruits like apples and cucumbers directly with the spray and rinse under water. For delicate greens, berries or grapes, I soak the produce in a bowl with water and a generous spray of vinegar and mix it gently with my hands.
My friend Veronica recommends using hydrogen peroxide to clean produce. The one source I found for that was on the Dr. Mercola website, though he recommends using both vinegar and a hydrogen peroxide spray (kept in separate bottles).
Whichever method you choose, you do want to give your produce at least a water rinse to wash off bugs and dirt. And think about how many people handle your produce as it makes its journey to the supermarket produce aisle before it arrives to your kitchen.
A salad spinner is a practical way to quickly dry off just washed salad leaves- your dressing will cling to the leaves much better if it is dry (I prefer the pushdown spinners as opposed to the pull cords and crank handled ones). But you can always lay them out on towels to dry as well.
- Easy, one handed operation with patented pump mechanism and brake button
- Soft, non slip knob locks down for storage, and a non slip ring and wide base keep bowl steady on countertop
- Elegant, clear bowl is perfect for serving, and basket can be used separately as a colander
- Clear, flat lid allows for convenient stacking when not in use, disassembles for easy cleaning, and parts are top rack dishwasher safe and BPA Free
- Capacity 6.22 Qt bowl, 4.95 Qt basket, Dimensions 10.5 inch x 10.5 inch x 6 inch
- Wash and spin Dry Salad greens, fruit and vegetables
- Add water and drain without moving the lid through the easily accessible opening on top
- Perfect for individual or two-person servings
- Also great for rinsing berries and herbs
- 3 quart capacity
- CONVENIENT: Wash and spin-dry salad greens, fruits and vegetables
- EASY TO USE: Add and drain water without removing lid with easy-to-turn spin knob
- MUST HAVE FEATURES: Locks to securely close spinner with clear base that can be used as a serving bowl
- CAPACITY: 5-Quarts capacity
- CONTROL: Non Skid base for keeping bowl stable while spinning
- Turn chore into pleasure and make your salads tastier. Forget washing gem lettuce by hand, drying chopped salad with tons of paper towels, spraying water all around the kitchen, and bland, watery salads. Our easy rotary handle makes spinning effortless, so you can enjoy the convenience of a quick, mess-free, and tasty salad.
- 3-in-1 Multifunctional Kitchen Gadget. All parts are separated for easy use and cleaning. You can use the clear base as a serving bowl or salad mixer and the basket as a convenient colander or vegetable washing basket. That's more space in your cupboards and fewer dishes to wash.
- Built-In Drainage System. You can wash and dry greens, fruits, and vegetables, without removing the lid. Just add water through the lid as you spin-wash, tip salad spinner to pour out water through the opening in the lid, and spin again to remove excess water and dry.
- Smart Design. Non-skid base provides stability and control, so the bowl remains steady on your countertop while using the salad spinner dryer. Two locking clamps on the lid prevent water and greens from flying around your kitchen and making a mess.
- Not Just For Salad. Use it as a vegetable spinner when cleaning veggies or as a fruit washer before enjoying your berries. You can even use it to spin out any remaining water from pasta, so your sauces stick better, or to remove excess oil from french fries. It's one of the most useful gadgets in any kitchen.
- HEALTHY MADE EASY: Our Pro Pump Salad Spinner makes it so easy to prepare nutritious foods every night of the week; large salad spinner helps you to clean and serve salad greens and other produce, including fruits and even berries in seconds
- MULTIPLE USES: This lettuce spinner is more than just a device for quickly rinsing and drying produce; use the basket separately as a colander, and the clear plastic bowl can be used as a large salad bowl or mixing bowl
- ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE: The generous capacity of our salad spinner (6.65 quart bowl, 5.25 quart basket) means you can put in enough food to feed your entire family
- SO EASY: We know you're busy when it comes to making meals, so we've engineered our large salad spinner for convenient one-handed operation; simply push down on the spinner mechanism to begin; then tap the brake button when done
- STABLE AND SECURE: The clear bowl features a soft, non-slip base to secure the salad spinner while in use, with the added bonus of protecting your countertops from getting scratched
- 〓 UMIKAkitchen multi-function vegetable and vegetable dryer is made of PP material, just shake it, easy and convenient, shake out the clean vegetables.
- 〓 Humanized shaking design, easy to dry fruits and vegetables and remove soil and other residues manually and quickly, easy and labor-saving, and vegetables that cannot be scrubbed will no longer be easily washed.
- 〓 Water hole design, drain excess water, hands do not need to be wet, effectively protect your delicate hands.
- 〓 Add water and drain without moving the lid through the easily
- 〓 It is easy to disassemble and wash, the sieve basket can effectively remove the sediment, the outer container is easy to disassemble and wash, and it is hygienic and clean.
- The Little Herb and Salad Spinner 4.0 is simple to use: just pump to spin your herbs or lettuce dry
- Patented brake stops immediately with a simple press. BPA free, Material : Plastic
- Soft, non-slip pump locks flat for compact storage and the non-slip base keeps the Spinner steady on countertops
- The crystal-clear bowl is perfect for a single-serving, and the basket can be used separately as a colander
- Easy-to-clean lid comes apart for thorough cleaning and is top-rack dishwasher safe
- Easy, one-handed operation; Patented pump mechanism and brake button
- Clear lid lets you see inside and comes apart for easy cleaning
- Soft, non-slip knob locks down for convenient storage
- Non-slip base keeps stainless steel bowl steady on countertop
- Basket and non-slip stainless steel bowl can be used separately
- Elegant yet durable borosilicate glass bowl works for serving or storage
- One-handed pump for maximum drying with minimum effort
- Patented brake stops basket immediately with a simple press
- Storage lock holds pump flush with lid for stacking and storing
- Removable spinner basket works as a colander for rinsing greens
- Exclusively made in Italy to exacting standards to deliver frictionless perfection for all greens and herbs.
- Features a large 4.4 qt / 4.2 L colander and larger bowl that doubles as an elegant serving dish.
- Made of uncompromising food-safe and BPA-free material, with non-slip feet.
- Designed for lifetime use, spins with minimal effort and without disruptive noise.
- Dishwasher-safe, easy to use, and even easier to clean.
The great thing about produce is that most of it can be cleaned easily and then dried. For those with skins made from firmer material, a soft brush will work best for gentle cleaning but if your scrubbing produces are softer or drier (to accommodate an earthier environment), you may need to soak them in water before wiping off any dirt captured within their natural wrapping film on top-side layers which could prevent stains caused by exposure during transport.
The Bottom Line:
Good food hygiene is an important health habit that will keep you from getting sick. Washing fresh produce helps minimize surface germs and residues, which could make anyone’s day worse!
The recent COVID-19 pandemic has caused many people to wonder whether more aggressive washing methods, such as using soap or commercial cleaners on fresh produce are better.
Health professionals agree that this isn’t recommended or necessary. Fruits and vegetables can be sufficiently cleaned with cool water, and light friction right before eating them.
If you want to get your produce clean, try washing it in a bowl of cool water. This will help remove dirt particles from the surface and inner layers so they don’t come back when next time.
The importance of fresh fruit and vegetables cannot be understated. They offer a number of healthy nutrients, but only if they’re cleaned safely!